Project for Web-based Application Development (DAW), 2009
In this project you will create web application supported by
a relational database. You can choose whatever application
topic you like.
The final result should be something close to a professional application.
For example, if you choose to do an application for hotel management,
then the website should be ready to be used by the workers and clients
of an hotel.
- The application must allow not only query access to information,
but also modifications to the database.
- The application must allow various types of users, with different
access rights depending on the type of user.
- You should worry about security issues.
- You should take into account usability issues.
- The application must have at least the following things:
- a relational database do support the website content.
- utilize database transactions to guarantee information integrity.
- utilize de cascaded style sheets.
- allow user authentication.
- validade input data.
Deadlines and handin information
You should handin 3 things (everything in a single ZIP file):
- The code of the whole application (properly indented and commented.)
You should have 2 files with the names:
- tables.sql, which contains the database schema of your database.
- readme.txt, which should indicate the name of the main webpage, as well as other information that you think might be relevant.
- A non-technical report. Max 10 pages.
The filename should be non-techreport.pdf
- In this report you are not supposed to mention technical details.
You should only focus on functional aspects of your application. It's almost
like a little user's manual of the application.
- A technical report. Max 15 pages.
The filename should be techreport.pdf
- In this report you should give a high level description of your database by giving a UML or an Entity-Relationship diagram, specify what technologies you
used to design and develop your website, and give a high level overview of your code.
At the end of the course (during the exam date), you mst make a 15 minute oral presentation of your work.
The final grade for the course is based on 4 things: (1) code of the application (50%), (2) non-technical report (10%), (3) technical report (20%), (4) 15 min oral presentation of the work (20%). You must have at least 8,0 out of 20,0 on all of these 4 things.
The project can be done individually or in a group of a maximum of two students.
You will be graded based on the following criteria:
- Completion of the requirments
- Writing quality of your reports
- Code organization and programming style
- Proper use of the technologies
- Functionality of the application
- Presentation and oral discussion