Biography and short CV
Fernando Lobo is an Associate Professor at Departmento de Engenharia Informática e Electrónica, Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia, Universidade do Algarve, Portugal. He received his Ph.D. from Universidade Nova de Lisboa in 2000, a Masters degree in Computer Science from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA) in 1997, and an undergraduate degree in Computer Science from Universidade Nova de Lisboa in 1991.
Fernando Lobo was involved in some of the early work on Estimation of Distribution Algorithms (EDAs), being a co-author of the Compact Genetic Algorithm together with Georges Harik and David E. Goldberg. He also gave important contributions with respect to automated parameter selection techniques for genetic and evolutionary algorithms, having proposed the parameter-less GA technique together with Georges Harik, and co-edited the Springer book Parameter Setting in Evolutionary Algorithms, together with Cláudio Lima and Zbigniew Michalewicz.
- 2000, Ph. D. in Environmental Engineering, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal.
(During the doctoral studies, was a regular visiting scholar at the Illinois Genetic Algorithms Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, under the supervision of David E. Goldberg.)
- 1997, Masters in Computer Science, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal.
- 1991, Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal.
- since 2011, Associate Professor of Computer Science, Universidade do Algarve, Portugal.
- 2000-2011, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, Universidade do Algarve, Portugal.
- 1992-1993, Software and Systems Engineer, Edinfor S.A., Lisboa, Portugal.
Selected Professional Service
Co-organizing (with Josu Ceberio Uribe, Benjamin Doerr, and Carsten Witt) Dagstuhl Seminar 20472, Estimation-of-Distribution Algorithms: Theory and Applications (November 2020)
Vice leader of WG-1 Theory-Driven Applications, COST action 15140 on Improving Applicability of Nature-Inspired Optimisation by Joining Theory and Practice (ImAppNIO).
- Genetic Algorithms Co-track Chair at ACM GECCO 2008 (with Martin Pelikan) and ACM GECCO 2012 (with Daniel Tauritz).
- Program committee member of the major conferences in evolutionary computation: GECCO (since 2000), PPSN (since 2004).
- Co-organizer (with Thomas Jansen) of the Workshop on Bridging the Gap Between Theory and Practice in Nature-Inspired Optimisation (PPSN 2018).
- Co-organizer (with Cláudio Lima) of the Workshop on Parameter Setting in Genetic and Evolutionary Algorithms (GECCO 2005).
- Reviewed papers for the following journals:
Evolutionary Computation (MIT Press),
IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation,
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics,
IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine,
Genetic Programming and Evolvable Machines (Springer Nature),
Machine Learning (Kluwer),
Information Sciences (Elsevier),
Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (Elsevier),
Theoretical Computer Science (Elsevier),
Swarm and Evolutionary Computation (Elsevier),
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence (Springer Nature),
Soft Computing (Springer Nature),
Journal of Heuristics (Kluwer),
Algorithmica (Springer Nature),
Natural Computing (Springer Nature),
Computational Optimization and Applications (Springer Nature),
Journal of Machine Learning Research,
Operations Research Perspectives.