- Designing and implementing accessibility methods to promote
a better interaction with mobile devices, and using those techniques
to allow people with disabilities not only to have a better interaction
and communication with other people, but also to interact and
control their surrounding environment.
- José Luís Pereira
- - Working on automated selection of Estimation of Distribution Algorithms.
Past PhD students
- Stéphane Norte, finished Jul/2011.
- - Worked on the design of computer interfaces to allow people with motor disabilities
to have easier access to programming environments and games.
- Cláudio Lima, finished May/2009.
- - Designed and analysed substructural
local search operators that can be used effectively within Estimation of Distribution Algorithms.
- Claudio published his research work in top conferences and journals in Evolutionary Computation
and received a best paper award at ACM GECCO-2008.
- Paulo Condado, finished Apr/2009.
- - Worked on computer-mediated communication for people with speech disabilities. Proposed and designed EasyVoice,
a system that integrates text-to-speech with VoIP in real-time, allowing a person with
speech disabilities to make phone calls worldwide using a synthesized voice.
- As far as I'm aware, Paulo is the first person in Portugal with Cerebral Palsy to complete a Ph.D. degree.
His work received attention from all the major TV channels in Portugal
and was also praised by Jim Fruchterman on his Benetech Blog.